The Jewish flag was officially given a permanent place at the masthead of an ocean liner for the first time in history when in the presence of a number of men and women leaders in the Jewish world, Justice Jacob S. Strahl of Brooklyn, raised the flag on the S.S. “President Arthur”, the 21,000-ton steamer which will sail between New York and Haifa, Palestine, under the management of the American-Palestine Line.
The ceremonies were held at the Morse Shipyard, Brooklyn. The S.S. “President Arthur” is being reconditioned at the Brooklyn Shipyard in preparation for its first trip under Jewish auspices, on March 12, 1925.
A brief address was made by the President of the American-Palestine Line, Judge Strahl. Senator Benjamin Antin also spoke.
Among the officers of the line who attended the ceremonies were: Judge Jacob S. Strahl, President; Myron Krieger, Morris Polsky, Philip Wattenberg. Harry Weltfisch, Bernard Crausman, Vice-Presidents; Jacob Wacht, Treasurer; Joseph W. Gottlieb, Secretary; H. Epstein, General Manager, Mrs. Morris Polsky, Miss Polsky, and Joseph Goldfein.