Moscow (Oct. 16)
The Jewish farm settlement movement in the Union of Socialist Soviet Republics is being extended to Central Asia, according to reports received here from Tashkent.
The reports state that ten Jewish agricultural settlements already exist in Central Asia. The largest colony, Churiat, consists of 54 families. It was established in 1924 with four families.
Dr. Leo Greenbaum, one of the leading dentists of New York City, formerly dean of the Philadelphia Dental College, died of heart disease after a long illness. He was 68 years old. He was editor and publisher of the Stomatologist.
Mayor Walker administered the oath of Justice of the Municipal Court to Lewis A. Abrams, to succeed the late President Justice of the Municipal Court, Samson Friedlander. Justice Abrams will hold office under the Mayor’s appointment until Jan. 1, when he will be a candidate to succeed himself at the coming November elections.
JEWISH COMMUNAL ACTIVITIES
The names of the councillors, division heads and trade chairmen in forty trades which are taking part in the drive for $4,720,000 of the New York Federation for the Support of Jewish Philanthropic Societies, were announced by Frederick Brown, general chairman of the Campaign.
The money raising efforts of the Federation are in charge of the Business Men’s Council, representing 134 trades and professions, with Percy S. Straus as chairman. These groups will make their reports at a rally at Hotel Pennsylvania Sunday. November 7.
Mr. Brown’s announcement yesterday made public the lists in the women’s apparel field, of which Oscar Abel is the councillor; furniture and housefurnishings, Samuel J. Bloomingdale, councillor; chemicals, David A. Ansbacher, councillor; men’s clothing. Herman Lissner, councillor; men’s clothing. Herman Lissner, councillor; clothing and allied lines, William Goldman; notions and novelties, Joseph Gutman, Carl Rosenberger and Morris Steinhardt, councillors; cigars and cigarettes, David A. Schulte, councillor. Mr. Brown also announced the list of workers under the leadership of Commissioner of Plant and Structure Albert Goldman, who heads the drive in the Bronx.
The campaign for a Jewish Community Center building, conducted October 3 to 10, by the Community Center of Congregation Beth Israel, of Richmond Hill, N. Y., under the direction of the Jewish Welfare Board, resulted in the subscription of $142,000. David M. Wolff was chairman of the campaign, and Dr. Philip R. Goldstein of the Jewish Welfare Board, was campaign director.
The cornerstone of the new building was laid on October 3rd.
Broadway will invade the East Side on Sunday afternoon, October 24th, in the person of David Belasco, playwright and theatrical producer, who will bring his entire production of “Fanny” and its original Broadway cast, including Fanny Brice, for a special benefit performance at the Irving Place Theatre. The proceeds of this performance will be donated by Mr. Belasco as his personal contribution to the $7,500,000 campaign fund sought this year by the United Palestine Appeal.
The announcement of Mr. Belasco’s decision to aid the Palestine Fund by a benefit performance of his production came as a result of a proposal which he made in a letter to Louis Lipsky, President of the Zionist Organization.
Because the play treats of certain aspects of American Jewish life, Mr. Belasco is anxious to stage the production on this occasion in the heart of the Jewish East Side.
The Congregation Adath Jeshurun of Philadelphia, Pa., will celebrate the dedication of its new buildings with an elaborate program today.
The Congregation which was established in 1858, has occupied its present site at Broad and Diamond Streets for the past fifty years. Recently the entire Temple was renovated. and a new school building erected at a cost of $200,000.
Jewish students form the third largest group among the undergraduates of the Johns Hopkins’ University, Baltimore, Md., this year, according to a census of religious preferences taken by the campus Young Men’s Christian Association. This year the Jews number 124, as compared with 128 enrolled in 1925.
Members of the Methodist Episcopal Church are in the majority with a total of 155. Next come the Episcopalians, 144 in number, who ranked highest in last year’s census. According to the census, 123 students have no religious preference. One student have no religious preference. One student of those who registered declared himself an atheist.