The total Jewish population of Greater New York has increased from 1,500,000 in 1916 to 1,750,000 in 1926, according to a survey made by Israel Chipkin, Educational Director of the Jewish Education Association. The results of the survey were made public by Bernard Semel, secretary of the Jewish Education Association. The number of children of school age has increased from 300,000 in 1916 to 350,000 in 1926, and it is about 38% of the total child population of New York.
“The outstanding fact concerning the shifting of Jewish population as based upon the attendance of Jewish children in the public schools, seems to be the tendency to move from Manhattan to Brooklyn, Bronx and Queens,” the report states.
“According to the figures reported for these several years it appears that the Jewish population has moved out of the Lower East Side, Central East Side, Lower West Side, Yorkville, Harlem, in large numbers. It is decreasing gradually in the South Bronx, Lower Central Bronx, and the Brownsville, Williamsburgh, Willoughby sections of Brooklyn. It appears to be stationary in the West Side, West Harlem. Washington Heights, Tremont section of the Bronx, Bushwick, Ridgewood and Greenpoint sections of Brooklyn, and the entire Borough of Richmond. Jewish population is increasing slowly in North Bronx, East New York, Borough Park, Bensonhurst, South Brooklyn, Bay Ridge. Fort Hamilton and the entire Borough of Queens, and is increasing rapidly in the upper central Bronx and Grand Concourse sections of the Bronx, and in the Eastern Parkway, Flatbush, Coney Island sections of Brooklyn.
“In 1916 the proportion of Jewish children attending the public schools of the city was according to Boroughs: Manhattan, 48%; Bronx, 40%; Brooklyn 38%; Queens, 7%; Richmond, 5% In 1925 these proportions were changed and are now: Bronx, 52%; Brooklyn; 43%; Manhattan, 37%; Queens, 10%; Richmond, 3%.
“It is estimated that about 95,000 children receive some kind of Jewish training. This represents about 27% of the total Jewish child population in the city and an increase of 5% between 1916 and 1925. Since 1923, when the Jewish Education Association began its intensive propaganda for the registration of additional pupils at Jewish schools, there has been an increase of 18,000 children.”
This survey will be discussed at the fifth anniversary dinner of the Jewish Education Association on November 21st, at which time plans will be made for the future program of the organization.
Dr. Nathaniel Reich, one of the foremost Egyptologists in the world, has just been invited by Johns Hopkins University of Baltimore to deliver a series of lectures on his subject.
Dr. Reich is at present a member of the Faculty of Dropsie College, and assistant Curator of the University of Pennsylvania Museum.
Dr. Reich’s work, at the University Museum, has attracted wide attention throughout the country and resulted in the present appointment at Johns Hopkins. His series of lectures at that institution will cover the legal position of women in antiquity, with particular regard to Egypt, the Koran, Babylonia, Talmud and the Hieroglyphic text on the Administration policy in ancient Egypt.
Frederick Brown contributed $400 to the Real Estate Division of the New York “American” Christmas fund campaign.