Chicago, III (Dec. 17)
(Jewish Daily Bulletin)
The university college of the University of Chicago will institute a series of courses in Jewish education, beginning with the winter quarter, it was announced today. This is being done at the request of the College of Jewish Studies which will cooperate in conducting the courses.
“This new undertaking,” Dr. Alexander M. Dushkin, director of the College of Jewish Studies said, “is indicative of the policy of the University of Chicago to be of practical service to the whole community by extending its educational program and influence so as to be of greatest possible usefulness.”
The courses will be opened to all qualified students, but they are designed, it was announced, primarily for those who are to teach in Jewish religious schools and who engage in social service. Most of the courses will be conducted in the evening on the university campus and at the downtown quarters of the university college. The faculty appointed for these courses is from the teaching staff of the College of Jewish Studies.
For the winter and spring of 1927 the following courses have been announced; Biblical history and literature by Dr. Isadore Keyfitz; modern Hebrew, by Dr. Abraham J. Levy; methods of teaching in Jewish religious schools, by Jacob S. Golub, and Jewish folkways and institutions, and a graduate course in problems in American Jewish education by Dr. Dushkin.
Jewish communal leaders have expressed their enthusiastic appreciation of the cooperation of the cooperation of the University of Chicago with them in their efforts to train teachers and community workers.
Philadelphia will launch its annual Maintenance Campaign for the Federation of Jewish Charities on January 16th. The quota has been set at $1,600,000. The campaign will continue for ten days unless the goal is achieved before the time limit set. This was the unanimous decision at an emergency meeting called by Albert H. Lieberman, Chairman. Because of the death of Jules E. Mastbaum, who has always been one of the guiding spirits of all local endeavor, it was at first suggested that the campaign be postponed.
Among those who attended the meeting were: Judge Horace Stern, President of the Federation, Colonel Samuel D. Lit, Mr. Jacob D. Lit, Mr. Samuel Fels, Mr. Alfred W. Fleisher and Congressman Benjamin Golder.
The Congregation Har Zion in Philadelphia will celebrate its third anniversary this evening, with a banquet in the vestry rooms of the synagogue.
Organized originally in 1922 to meet high holiday requirements of a handful of Jewish families then residing in a newly built district of the city, has become one of the strongest congregations in Philadelphia.
The Synagogue was erected on a site contributed by Harry and Philip Publicker. The Congregation now numbers two hundred members.
Rabbi Simon Greenberg is the rabbi of the Congregation. Mr. Wm Portner will be toastmaster of the banquet. Addresses will be delivered by Judge Wm. M. Lewis, Rabbi Greenberg, Mr. Harry Cohen and others.
Arrangements for the banquet were made by a Committee headed by Dr. David J. Soltman, Chairman and Mr. Henry Laver, Treasurer. The officers of the Congregation are Harry Cohen, President; David Weber and kain Ellis, Vice-Presidents: Harry Publicker, Treasurer; H. L. Schindler, Financial Secretary and Paul Wintrob, Recording secretary. The trustees of the Congregation are Philip Publicker, Jacob Brodsky, and David Weber. Mrs. Fred Winthrop is President of the Sisterhood.
Announcement is made of the purchase of land for a $250,000 community center for all Jewish organizations and people of Springfield, Mass., from the Wesson Memorial Hospital Association at $52,000. Raphael Sagalyn is president of the Jewish Community Center. Eighty thousand dollars is already pledged for the work, but of this sum $20,000 will be used to remodel the Talmud Torah.