Plans for the federation building which is to be erected at 67 to 71 West Forty-seventh street, New York have been completed and construction work is to be begun immediately. The building should be completed by March, 1928, according to a report by the Building Committee of which Eli H. Bernheim is Chairman.
The new building, which is to serve as a home for Federation and the central offices of many of its affiliated societies as well as other communal agencies, is being made possible largely through the generosity of Mr. Frederick Brown who donated the site on the north side of Forty-seventh street, valued at $500,000.
The floor layouts for the building already have been completed and in addition to Federation and its various departments the following social agencies will be housed: The Bureau of Social Research, The Bureau of Jewish Education, the Jewish Social Service Association, the Committee for the Care of Jewish Tuberculosis, and the National Desertion Bureau.
The two top floors of the building will be used as a club house by the Real Estate Club of Federation. As a special tribute to the late Leo Sulzberger, who was active in Federation work, a Leo Sulzberger Memorial Room will be set aside. In it will hang a portrait of Mr. Sulzberger presented to Federation by Mr. Brown. Several floors will be available for commercial renting.
The architects of the building are Messrs. Buchman and Kahn.