Adolph S. Ochs, publisher of the “New York Times,” who is now in California on a tour in behalf of the Endowment Fund of the Hebrew Union College, attains his seventieth birthday today.
Born in Cincinnati, March 12, 1858, the son of Julius and Bertha Ochs, he received his education at the public schools. At the age of eleven he delivered newspapers for the “Knoxville Chronicle.” In 1878, having served as grocery clerk, druggist apprentice, compositor on the “Knoxville Daily Tribune,” reporter and business manager, he was the owner and publisher of the “Chattanooga Times.”
Thirty-two years ago he came to New York from Chattanooga. In 1896 Adolph S. Ochs was invited to take over the property of the “New York Times,” following the death of George Johns, one of its founders. Three years later he took over a controlling interest in the “New York Times” which he has held from that date.
Mr. Ochs is the holder of four honorary degrees. From Yale University he received the honorary degree of M.A.; from Columbia University, the degree of L.L.D. was conferred on him; and the honorary degree of Doctor of Literature was given him by the University of Chattanooga, and by New York University. He is also a Chevalier of the Legion of Honor of France.
In addition to his publishing interests, Mr. Ochs is in the forefront of civic, communal and philanthropic activities of the country. He is a trustee of Temple Emanu-El and is chairman of the $5,000,000 Endowment Fund Committee of the Hebrew Union College. He is a member of the Executive Committee of the Union of American Hebrew Congregations. Among his many public bequests are: $50,000 to Chattanooga University for the endowment of a professorship in city government, $200,000 to the Hebrew Union College Fund and $10,000 and two menorahs to the Cathedral of St. John the Divine.