Omaha, Neb. (Mar. 5)
Reorganization of community welfare work along the lines suggested in the recent Jewish Communal Survey made by the Bureau of Jewish Social Research of New York, was stressed in annual reports and messages given at the joint annual meeting of the Jewish Welfare Federation and the Jewish Community Center at the Jewish Community Center, last night.
William L. Holzman, president of the Jewish Community Center, reported an increase in annual attendance at the Center from 81,859 in 1927, to 113,456 in 1928, to 127,474 in 1929. These figures mean, he said, that the entire Jewish population of Omaha (10,000), might have used the building twelve times in 1929. Among the activities which have shown great growth are the Center Sunday School with an enrollment of 300 children, the orchestra, and the Center Players Guild. Mr. Holzman reported that a mortgage reducing campaign conducted last year resulted in pledges totalling $23,000.
Dr. Philip Sher, president of the Jewish Welfare Federation, emphasized the importance of community reorganization in his annual message. The Federation report, given by Samuel Gerson, executive director of the Jewish Welfare Federation and the Jewish Community Center, revealed that Omaha had subscribed $5,500 to the Palestine emergency fund, and had paid 80 percent of its pledges to the United Jewish Campaign.
Mr. Gerson described the progress made by the family welfare department of the Federation which cared for 28 major care cases, 21 minor care cases, and 49 personal service cases a month. The Federation also dealt with 408 transients. Loans totalling $13,755 were made by the Jewish Free Loan Society.
Officers of the Jewish Community Center were all reelected. They are William L. Holzman, president; Mrs. Morris Levy, honorary vice-president; Henry Monsky, vice-president; Sam Beber, secretary and Abe Goldstein, treasurer. Trustees reelected for five years are William L. Holzman, H. H. Lapidus and Henry Monsky. Officers of the Jewish Welfare Federation are Dr. Philip Sher, Harry A. Wolf, first vice-president; Harry Silverman, secretary and Harry Friedman, treasurer.