Cleveland (May. 14)
Felix M. Warburg and the Hon. Newton D. Baker former Secretary of War, will be among the guest speakers at the eightieth anniversary celebration of Congregation Tifereth Israel, better known as “The Temple,” which will be held on May 25 and May 26.
On Sunday morning, May 25, a commemorative religious service will be held in the Temple at which Abba Hillel Silver, for the past thirteen years Rabbi of the Temple, will deliver the anniversary address. The anniversary dinner will be held on Monday evening, May 26, at the Cleveland Hotel, where Messrs. Warburg and Baker will deliver addresses.
The Tifereth Israel Congregation was established on May 29, 1850. It had forty-seven charter members. Worship was conducted for a time in the homes of the members. A bequest which the Congregation received from the noted Jewish philanthropist, Judah Touro, enabled it to purchase a lot and to build its first house of worship which was dedicated in 1855. In 1894, under the leadership of Rabbi Moses J. Gries, the Temple was built and in 1924, in the rabbinate of Dr. Silver the present magnificent house of worship was dedicated.
In 1929 a new and radical experiment in Temple life was inaugurated when the annual meeting of the Congregation adopted the “new temple policy” aimed at the elimination of the purely recreational activities of the Templeâ€”plays, dances, athletics, etc., and at the centering upon purely religious and cultural activities. Eugene E. Wolf is president of the Temple.