BERLIN (Jul. 2)
Dr. Ludwig Justi, director of the German National Gallery, today appealed to collectors of the work of Lesser Ury, noted German painter and etcher, to lend the Gallery these works for a special exhibition the Gallery is arranging for Ury’s seventieth birthday. Dr. Justi notes that Ury’s work is characteristic of modern Berlin.
Ury, who first began painting in 1882, devoting himself to nature studies, turned to modern impressionism, in which he was a pioneer, in 1887 when he came to Berlin. His first exhibition in 1889 was a failure but the award of the Michael-Beer prize made it possible for him to go to Italy where he began a new period in his creative work.
The epoch of his greatest pictures began in 1896 with the religious triptychon, “The Man”, “Adam and Eve” and “Jeremiah”. Ury belongs to the group called the Berlin “secessionists”. His works include not only religious paintings but numerous Berlin street and cafe scenes.
It was not until 1916 that he first achieved real recognition. He is also a well-known etcher and as a master of color technique he has few rivals. It was Ury who “discovered” Berlin as a subject for painting.