London (Aug. 23)
The Lithuanian government today denied in a telegraphic message to the Jewish Telegraphic Agency the truth of reported attacks on Jews in Lithuania.
“The so-called anti-Jewish attacks in Lithuania have been greatly exaggerated by persons interested in impairing the traditional Jewish-Lithuanian relations,” the government declared in its message.
“None were injured in Siauliai, as reported, and four Lithuanians were fined and sentenced to one month prison terms in connection with the affair. Several Jews were found in possession of weapons without permits and were also fined and sentenced to ten and fifteen day prison terms.
“The government is determined to use all the means in its power to prevent repetition of similar incidents,” the statement said.
At the same time the government denied categorically that there had been anti-Jewish incidents at Ponevezh and Rasseinia.
Two anti-Jewish disorders had been reported from Siauliai early this week. They were said to have involved an attack on Chalutzim and the plundering of Jewish stores by peasants during the weekly market day. Ten Jews were reported to have been injured.