LONDON (Jan. 27)
Jewish survivors of the Iron Guard revolt in Bucharest in which hundreds were slain crept out of hiding places today in a desperate attempt to secure food, while others formed weeping queues asking for shelter because their homes had been destroyed by fire, according to reports from the Rumanian capital.
Many Jews tried to reach the mortuary in the hope of identifying relatives, said a Daily Mirror dispatch from Belgrade. The full truth of the anti-Jewish orgies will probably never be known, the correspondent said. Naked and mutilated bodies were still lying in the Moldavian forest.
The Jewish quarter of Bucharest was described as “a smoldering wilderness of misery.” It was still barred by the military this morning.
Other Bucharest reports said 25 synagogues and temples had been destroyed in the Rumanian capital during the revolt.