Vienna (Nov. 30)
The first public Chanukah festival here since the Nazi invasion of Austria in 1938 was held today in the semi-destroyed Jewish Temple in the Seitenstetten Gasse, attended by five hundred members of this once proud Jewish community of 200,000. Nany officers and enlisted men of the armies of occupation participated in the festivities.
Rabbi Isidor Oehler, who officiated, reminded the assembled celebrants of the years when Vienna Jewry, driven underground, celebrated this festival in the city’s callars. The first candle was then lit in the eight-branched silver menorah which had bean buried during the Nazi rule.