New York (Dec. 22)
The 100th anniversary of the Central Synagogue, New York’s second oldest Reform congregation, was celebrated at a dinner at the Waldorf Astoria hotel last night with 500 persons attending.
The dinner was addressed by Dr. Jonah B. Wise, rabbi of the temple, Dr. William H. Fineshriber, of the Knesseth Israel temple in Philadelphia, and two Protestant ministers, the Rev. Dr. Ralph W. Sockman of Christ Church and the Rev. Dr. Theodore Cuyler Speers of the Central Presbyterian Church,
The congregation was founded in 1846 as the Ahaweth Chesed society by eighteen young men, most of them from Bohemia. The present Central Synagogue was built in 1870, with Rabbi Isaac Mayer Wise, founder of American Reform Judaism and father of Dr. Jonah B. Wise, laying the cornerstone.