New York (Jun. 6)
An orthodox congregation which was chartered by an act of the New York State Legislature 90 years ago – June 7, 1857 – was greeted today by President Truman on the occasion of its 90th anniversary, which will be marked ##n Sunday.
Congregation Talmud Torah Adereth El, which has occupied the same sito since its establishment, received the land on which its synagogue is built from a Christian donor. Located at 133 East 29th Street, it has served the religious and spiritual needs of the Jewish community in the east midtown section without a break for 90 years.
Its charter provides that the synagogue must remain Orthodox as long as 12 members of the congregation insist on it. The ceremonies on Sunday will also mark the conclusion of the modernization of the physical structure of the synagogue, which has been altered so as to enable it to render more effective service to the community.