LONDON (Jun. 4)
The Foreign Office today announced that Britain’s ban on the immigration of all Jews on Cyprus between the ages of 18 and 45 to Israel during the four-week Palestine truce stands, despite the Security Council’s decision to leave the interpretation of the truce resolution to U.N. mediator Count Folke Bernadette. Britain’s position on the matter will, however, be reconsidered in the light of suggestions which the mediator may make, the announcement said.
The British Consul in Haifa today protested against the alleged bombing by Israeli planes of an R.A.F. airdrome near Amman, last week, but the exact terms of the protest are not known here. The Foreign Office here said that hereafter planes attacking any R.A.F. installations will be shot down. Asked if the R.A.F. airfield at Amman is used by planes other than those belonging to the British, a Foreign Office spokesman replied: “I presume the field is used by the Transjordan Air Force,”
The London Daily Express reported today that ten Halifax bombers, whose guns were removed, and several Auster scout planes, have been bought by the Israelis and are waiting at a south coast airfield for word to proceed to Palestine.The paper says that the shortage of adequate airfields in Israel is delaying the delivery of these aircrafts. Two squadrons of Messerschmidts, 20 Dakotas and 60 other planes purchased in the U.S. have been held up in Sicily and Italy for the same reason.