PHILADELPHIA (Jul. 14)
The Democratic National Convention today adopted an Israeli plank in its 1948 platform calling for the revision of the U.S. embargo on the shipment of arms to the Jewish state and for according Israel the right of self-defense. The resolution also calls for “full recognition of the state of Israel.” A statement issued here by the American Zionist Emergency Council, reviewing its efforts to have the plank approved by the convention resolutions committee, and comparing the approved resolution with a “draft sponsored by the State Department,” asserted: “The chairman of the resolutions committee, Sen. Francis F. Myers of Pennsylvania, consistently favored a forthright declaration. The fight to revise the State Department’s wording was led by Rep. Emanuel Celler of New York.
“The vigorous campaign for a strong Israel plank,” the statement continued, “carried on by New York’s Mayor William O’Dwyer, also proved to be one of the chief influences for forthright action by the resolutions committee. The plank which was finally adopted today is generally regarded here as a strong rebuke of the State Department and a major defeat for the anti-Zionist forces in the Administration.”
The statement pointed out that the 1948 Democratic plank on Israel vas the fourth declaration of support obtained from the major U.S. political parties by the American Zionist movement under the leadership of Dr. Abba Hillel Silver.
“We look forward to the admission of the state of Israel to the United Nations and its full participation in the international community of nations. We pledge appropriate aid to the state of Israel in developing its economy and resources. We favor the revision of the arms embargo to accord to the state of Israel the right of self-defense. We pledge ourselves to work for the modification of any Resolution of the United Nations to the extent that it may prevent any such revision. We continue to support within the framework of the United Nations the internationalization of Jerusalem and the protection of the holy places of Palestine.”