Mediator Returns to Near East; Hopes Original Partition Decision Will Not Be Abandoned

Emphasizing that he had the power to suggest to both the Jews and Arabs certain “adjustments” in the Nov. 29 U.N. Palestine partition resolution, U.N. mediator Count Folke Bernadotte said here over the week-end that he hoped that a permanent settlement of the Palestine dispute could be reached without “abandoning” or greatly modifying the original partition decision.

Bernadotte told newsmen, just before taking off for the Near East to supervise the newly-ordered Security Council truce, that he was encouraged by the Council’s preparedness to invoke drastic sanctions, if necessary, to ensure the cessation of hostilities in Palestine. He said he was “delighted” at the “first stage” which achieved a truce in Jerusalem.

Replying to a question about his previously-announced advocacy of a plebiscite for Palestine to settle the conflict, the U.N. mediator said: “I think a plebiscite is the most democratic way to solve questions like this–to go to the people. I have it mind, but I don’t know if this is practicable at present.

He revealed that he will attempt to obtain a “base” on which both parties could agree in time for submission to the next session of the U.N. General Assembly which is scheduled to open in Paris on September 21.

Meanwhile, the Provisional Government of Israel made public a copy if its July 16 while Paper charging that the British Government “decided in April to impose oil sanctions on the Jews of Palestine, while at the same time decided to give to the Arab states, which were already fighting, all the fighting facilities for the forthcoming major operations.” The charges were immediately denied by the British delegation here.

NEXT STORY