CINCINNATI (Jan. 25)
The complete merger of the Hebrew Union College of Cincinnati and the Jewish Institute of Religion of New York, which was initiated on June 16, 1948, became an accomplished fact today at the first meeting of the consolidated board of governors at the College here.
Lester A. Jaffe of Cincinnati, formerly chairman of the College’s board of governors, was elected chairman of the new board at today’s meeting. Judge Joseph M. Levine of New York, formerly chairman of the board of trustees of the Institute, Frank L. Weil of New York, formerly vice-chairman of the College’s board, and Herbert R. Bloch of Cincinnati, were elected vice-chairman.
Dr. Nelson Glueck, who was named president of the Hebrew Union College in 1947 and president of the Jewish Institute of Religion in the fall of 1948 upon the retirement of the late Dr. Stephen S. Wise, officially became president of the united College-Institute.