NEW YORK (May. 27)
The New York Times today reported from Damascus that Col. Adib Shishakly, Syrian Chief of Staff, stated yesterday that Syria would now send her representatives to the meeting of the Syrian-Israeli Mixed Armistice Commission summoned for Monday by Maj. Gen. William E. Riley, the United Nations Chief of Staff. Colonel Shishakly said he had been notified that the Israeli company’s excavation machinery in the zone south of lake Huleh had been withdrawn earlier in the day.
Col. Shishakly told the press that the Syrian members at the meeting Monday would first demand whether Israel intended to comply fully with the United Nations Security Council’s resolution for a halt in the Huleh reclamation work. Unless the Israelis said yes, the Syrians would withdraw, Col. Shishakly said.