NEW YORK (Jun. 27)
The American Friends of the Middle East, an organization headed by Dorothy Thompson which does not include a single Jew among its charter members, but has among them numerous outspoken Anti-Zionists, today published a full-page advertisement in the New York press outlining its program as follows:
1. “To break through the curtain of obscurity and distortion by writing and publicizing material designed to broaden understanding in the United States of Middle Eastern peoples, their problems, and progress.
2. “To send representatives to the different countries; to pay particular attention to the various religious; to enable them to state their problems, and to assist them in having their voice heard in America.
3. “To bring spokesmen of Eastern religious and cultural groups to this country to meet American audiences in person.
4. “To send representatives of the Committee to the Middle East to stress the fact that a substantial body of American public opinion shares our concern and interest in the area; and to report on the various ways in which this Committee might be most helpful.
5. “To arrange public exhibits, in connection with our churches, universities; and other cultural centers, of the arts and creative industries of the Middle East.
6. “To invite the participation of the many Americans of Near Eastern origin in our work.
7. “To aid, whenever possible, in the preservation and rebuilding of shrines, libraries, and cultural centers in the Middle East.
8. “To work toward the calling of a spiritual and cultural conference, in the Middle East, for the purpose of counteracting the old isolation with a plan for permanent cooperation between American and Middle Eastern peoples.”
In appealing to Americans for contributions, the Thompson organization says that “most Americans have never had an accurate picture of Middle East.” The appeal seeks American support “free from political pressure and racial and religious discrimination.”