United Israel Appeal Denies Rumors of Its Liquidation

In the face of persistent rumors and reports of the liquidation of the United Israel Appeal, the United Israel Appeal’s board of directors, meeting here, unanimously asserted that the UIA was “to continue” and, in fact, “must be strengthened.”

William H. Sylk, chairman of the board, today reported that the positive assertion of continuation was made by the board called together specifically for the purpose of examining and answering the rumors of UIA dissolution. The UIA’s board is made up of 120 members of which 60 percent represent all the Zionist parties in the country while the balance are delegated annually by community welfare funds.

Louis Segal, a member of the Jewish Agency executive here, and general secretary of the Farband Labor-Zionist Order, following protracted discussion of the issue, presented the resolution on the continuation of the UIA, which was unanimously adopted. It also urged that methods of “strengthening” the UIA be developed by a sub-committee of the UIA conferring with a sub-committee of the Jewish Agency.

Discussions at the board meeting which were held in executive session outlined two major areas where the UIA should intensify and broaden its program. These were: mobilization of efforts and resources of all Zionists in the UJA campaign; and increased activity in the area of pre-campaign budgeting. The latter would involve programs in communities throughout the country for assuring equitable distribution of funds so that the United Jewish Appeal could receive its proper and just proportion of income. Reports were given by Mrs. Rose Halprin, acting chairman of the Jewish Agency, and Rabbi James G. Heller, president of the Labor Zionist Organization of America.

The UIA was organized in 1936 as a representative of the two Zionist national funds–the Keren Hayesod and the Jewish National Fund. It began as a direct fundraising body for these funds charged with the responsibility of immigration, rehabilitation, resettlement, land acquisition and land amelioration. In 1939, the then-United Palestine Appeal joined with the Joint Distribution Committee to form the United Jewish Appeal as a fund-raising instrumentality for Jewish overseas needs.

NEXT STORY