Hillel Foundations Commission Adopts $1,300,000 Budget for 1955

The National Commission of the B’nai B’rith Hillel Foundations today concluded its two-day session here with the adoption of a 1955 budget of $1,300,000 for the educational activities conducted by Hillel among more than 150,000 Jewish students in the major campuses in the United States and Canada. The budget represents an increase of $70,000 over the current year.

The Commission heard a report from Rabbi Arthur Lelyveld, national director of Hillel Foundations, emphasizing the impressive advances made during the past year in providing religious and educational counselling services to Jewish students in more than 200 universities and colleges. The Commission, which is composed of leading educators and rabbis, expressed gratification with the report that the B’nai B’rith in Britain is planning an official dedication of the Hillel House for Jewish Students in London on October 31st.

Dr. Phil Lown, of Boston, reporting on the activities of the National Friends of the Hillel Foundations, cited increased membership and extension of support by the National Friends to the Hillel program through the establishment of four chairs for Judaic studies at American and Canadian universities. Dr. Abram L. Sachar, president of Brandeis University, was re-elected chairman of the National Commission of the Hillel Foundations. Dr. William Haber was re-elected vice-chairman, and Maurice Bisgyer, secretary. Joseph Paradise was again chosen national treasurer and Rabbi Lelyveld was renamed national director.

NEXT STORY