J.D.C. Grants $500,000 for Social Work Training in Israel

The Joint Distribution Committee announced today a grant of $500,000 over a five-year period for the development of social work training facilities in the state of Israel. The grant, according to Edward M.M. Warburg, JDC chairman, is to be made in commemoration of the completion of 40 years of JDC relief, reconstruction and resettlement activity on behalf of needy Jews overseas.

The expansion of existing social service training facilities in Israel, Mr. Warburg indicated, is to be carried out in cooperation with the Hebrew University and the Israel Ministry of Welfare. The JDC decision to grant $500,000 for this expansion follows a series of preliminary discussions between representatives of the JDC and the interested Israeli organizations. During these discussions, agreement was reached in principle on the contemplated expansion, including a decision that the expanded social service training facilities would be established within the framework of the Hebrew University.

Further discussions to prepare the way for the opening of these expanded facilities will be held in September. Actual teaching under the new auspices is scheduled to begin before October 1956. It is on this basis that the JDC appropriation has been made, Mr. Warburg added, pointing out that the program is designed to help overcome the critical shortage of Israel personnel adequately trained in modern service and social welfare techniques.

“Throughout JDC’s history, we have constantly set ourselves the goal, not only of meeting emergency situations, but of preparing overseas Jewish communities as quickly as possible for the day when they can assume full responsibility for their own assistance programs without outside aid,” Mr. Warburg said. “Today, nearly all welfare agencies in Israel, governmental and voluntary alike, are in serious need of such trained social work specialists as group workers, caseworkers, and medical and psychiatric social workers. This new JDC grant will, we hope, lay the basis for an important permanent contribution to the health and welfare of Israel’s population.”

NEXT STORY