NEW YORK (Mar. 13)
Mrs. Adele Rosenwald Levy, wife of Dr. David M. Levy, and a daughter of the late Julius Rosenwald, died here last night after a brief illness. She was 67.
Active in 35 charitable, artistic and community organizations, Mrs. Levy was the first chairman of the Women’s Division of the United Jewish Appeal, in 1946. She was on the board of directors of the Greater New York UJA, vice-chairman of the Committee on Displaced Persons, and a member of the Board of Trustees of Brandeis University. In 1946, she was cited as “Outstanding Jewish Woman of the Year” by the National Council of Jewish Women; and, in 1957, she received the Gold Key Award as “Woman of the Year” from the Federation of Jewish Philanthropies of New York City.
As a former general chairman of the Greater New York UJA, Mrs. Levy was to have received one of the organization’s highest honors, at a dinner scheduled for next Wednesday night. Mrs. Levy was to have been presented with the annual Chairman’s Award, a gold plaque symbolizing distinguished service to the UJA.
Concerned for many years with work on behalf of children and youths, Mrs. Levy was appointed by President Truman in 1950 to the executive committee of the Mid-Century White House Conference on Children and Youth. This year, Governor Rockefeller named her to the New York State Committee of the 1960 White House Conference.
Among her survivors are her husband; two sons by a former marriage; as well as five grandchildren. Surviving also are two brothers, Lessing J. and William Rosenwald; and two sisters, Mrs. Edgar B. Stern, of New Orleans; and Mrs. Max Ascoli, of New York.