Menu JTA Search

Two Chicago Youths Admit Bombing of Synagogue; Face Grand Jury

SIGN UP FOR THE JTA DAILY BRIEFING

A Chicago grand jury had before it today the case of two teen-age youths arrested in connection with the January 11 bombing of the Anshe Emet synagogue. Paul Muhlig, 19, has admitted in a written statement that he was with Herbert Miklitsch, 19, on the night the synagogue was bombed. The structure suffered damages of $2,000.

The youth said in the statement that he and Miklitsch had been drinking beer and that Miklitsch had suggested they “bomb a church.” Muhlig declared he thought his companion was joking but that they got into Miklitsch’s car and drove to the synagogue. Miklitsch took a lead pipe bomb from the trunk of the car and walked toward the synagogue while the other youth waited in the car.

Muhlig said in his statement that his companion was gone a few minutes and then returned. There was a violent blast and the two drove off. Muhlig said the synagogue was chosen because they had had an argument with some other youths there at a dance previously.

NEXT STORY