OTTAWA (Dec. 2)
Two Canadians accused of representing in this country The Thunderbolt, a publication issued by the anti-Semitic, anti-Negro National States Rights Party, of Birmingham, Ala., told a Post Office Review Board here today that “international forces” are behind a campaign to bar the publication from the Canadian units.
The Review Board, headed by Justice Dalton Wells, of the Ontario Court of Appeal, is hearing an appeal from a ban against the use of the mails by The Thunderbolt, issued last summer by Postmaster-General J.R. Nicholson. The men are David Stanley, 20, who admitted that he had once pleaded guilty in Birmingham to a charge of “assault with a weapon,” and John Ross Taylor, 51, who admitted that, during World War II, he had been interned for 53 months by the Royal Canadian Mounted Police.
When Taylor told the board that “international forces” are behind this hearing “as a test case,” the presiding justice told him: “There are no international forces behind this at all, only a Canadian Cabinet minister.” Both Stanley and Taylor voiced anti-Semitic remarks at the hearing, but Sydney M. Harris, who was present on behalf of the Canadian Jewish Congress, told the panel that he “would not dignify those remarks with a reply,” The panel reserved judgment on the appeal.