CHICAGO (Jul. 7)
A large bronze plaque honoring the late Julius Rosenwald, not only as one of Chicago’s great philanthropists and captains of industry but also as the chief architect of the consolidation of Chicago’s major Jewish philanthropies, was dedicated in the lobby of the Jewish Federation Building here. Officers and directors of the Jewish Federation and all its affiliated agencies, together with other leading men and women of the Jewish community participated in the ceremonies.
Brief tributes were made by A.D. Davis, president of the Jewish Federation of Metropolitan Chicago and by Rabbi Ralph Simon, spiritual leader of Congregation Rodfei Zedek. In attendance at the ceremonies were the three men who have received the Julius Rosenwald Memorial Gold Medal: Frank L. Sulzberger, former president of the Jewish Federation; Samuel A. Goldsmith, executive vice-president of the Jewish Federation for the past 35 years and Dr. S.S. Hollender, past president of the Federation.
Three years ago, on the occasion of the 100th anniversary of Julius Rosenwald’s birth, the Jewish Federation of Metropolitan Chicago inaugurated the Julius Rosenwald Memorial Award, given annually “to the individual who has achieved most in the advancement of the purposes of the Jewish Federation and welfare of the Jewish Community.”
Mr. Rosenwald served as president of the Associated Jewish Charities of Chicago–now known as the Jewish Federation–and as a member of the board of directors for many years beginning in 1908. His contributions to the Associated Jewish Charities and his influence upon members of Chicago’s Jewish community resulted in substantial support for Jewish philanthropic endeavors during their critical formative period.