LUDWIGSBURG, Germany (Jul. 8)
Erwin Schuele, chief prosecutor of West Germany’s Central Office for the Prosecution of Nazi War Criminals, said here today that he failed to understand charges made yesterday by the Polish News Agency in Warsaw, which accused West Germany of not being “intensive enough” in pursuing judicial proceedings against Nazi war criminals.
The Polish article alleged that, when Dr. Schuele and a group of other officials visited Poland recently, to examine archives in connection with the Frankfurt trial of former Auschwitz death camp personnel, they were given masses of new materials, but have not informed Poland how those data would be used.
Among the new evidence, the Warsaw agency charged, were documents relating to heretofore undisclosed details about the uprising in the Warsaw Ghetto in 1943; charges relating to anti-Jewish atrocities in the death camps to Sobibor, Stutthof and Belzec; and specific charges against Werner Dentzki, who had been the Nazi Mayor of Lodz.
“All persons mentioned in the article,” said Dr. Schuele, “are in our possession, will face trial. The Poles were given a list in writing about all the trials.”