TEL AVIV (Sep. 9)
An Egyptian soldier who deserted Saturday said here today that an Israeli soldier kidnaped by Egyptian commandos on Aug. 26 died in a hospital. The deserter, Abd El Hakim Mouhamed Suedi, told newsmen that his unit had been put on alert Aug. 26 Just prior to a commando raid across the Suez Canal in which two Israeli soldiers were killed and a third kidnaped, Israeli authorities have identified the kidnaped soldier as Yaacob Royneh of Kibbutz Eliaon.
The deserted said he was told of the kidnaped Israeli’s death by a soldier from another unit who visited him after the raid. He said that his unit knew all about the raid and that two Israelis had been killed and one kidnaped. He said that he had been posted as a look-out on the night of the raid and had seen Egyptian troops manning their weapons. He said that after sighting a flare, the alert was called off.