UNITED NATIONS, N.Y. (Sep. 17)
Ambassador Yosef Tekoah, Israel’s chief representative to the United Nations presented the Security Council today with details of 103 border shooting incidents started by Jordan during the four week period beginning last Aug. 18. In a letter to George Ignatieff, of Canada, the September President of the Security Council, Mr. Tekoah said that five Israeli soldiers and policemen and three civilians had been killed in the attacks which also wounded 26 soldiers and 12 civilians.
Mr. Tekoah reported attacks from Jordanian territory last night on Israeli forces near Maoz Chaim in the Beisan Valley in which one soldier was killed and three wounded. In addition his letter cited last night’s rocket attack from Jordanian soil on the town of Beisan where eight civilians were wounded. He said the town was hit by 130mm rockets of Czechoslovak manufacture which are known to be standard equipment of the Arab armies. The “responsibility of the Government of Jordan for the continued and repeated acts of warfare directed against the civilian population and military forces of Israel and the further deterioration of a grave situation is thus clearly established.” Mr. Tekoah wrote. He called the Jordanian actions a “flagrant breach” of the cease-fire and a violation of the Security Council’s resolution of Aug. 16. Mr. Tekoah requested that his letter be circulated as a Security Council document. The 103 incidents mentioned included 43 assaults by shelling, 41 instances of small arms fire, eight bazooka shellings, six cases of minings, two cases of sabotage and one rocket attack.