Eban, Hillel Warn Arab Countries Will Be Held Responsible for Terrorist Attacks

Two Israeli Cabinet ministers warned neighboring Arab countries today that they would be held fully responsible for fatal terrorist attacks on Israeli civilian communities from their territory. Minister of Police Shlomo Hillel spoke while visiting Beisan township after the terrorist attacks this morning. He warned the Jordanian government that it was making a “grave mistake” if it allowed the terrorists to continue their assaults. Mr. Eban, speaking in the Knesset, said the Lebanese government faced serious consequences if it continued to collaborate with terrorists who used Lebanese soil for attacks on Israel. Referring to last month’s rocket attacks which took two lives at Kiryat Shemona and the terrorist ambush that killed eight Israeli children in a school bus near the Lebanese border on May 21, Mr. Eban said the world had no right to ask Israel not to strike back at Lebanon because it might imperil the Beirut government.

Mr. Eban declared that Lebanon “must understand that it is impossible to be at one and the same time a partner to an aggressive agreement against Israel while still expecting Israel not to do her duty.” The Foreign Minister said Israel was ready to establish peace with Lebanon on the basis of the present frontier. In an earlier speech at a police training center. Mr. Hillel said an investigation was in full swing of a series of explosions at the Nahariya beach resort yesterday. He said that every case of sabotage so far has been solved and every terrorist will be caught sooner or later. Four explosives were detonated at noon yesterday on the beach of Nahariya, north of Acre. There were no casualties, but there was some damage done to construction.

NEXT STORY