GENEVA (Jul. 6)
Dr. Nahum Goldmann, president of the Conference on Jewish Material Claims Against Germany, said here today that notwithstanding the “Schlussgesetz”–the West German law that terminated the payment of claims to victims of Nazism–the Conference will continue to press the claims of Jews who left Eastern Europe after 1965. Addressing the opening of the Conference’s board of directors meeting. Dr. Goldmann reported that the Bonn Government has paid out about $12.7 billion in demonstration and indemnification so far but still has some $6.25 billion to pay in individual claims. He said there was no basis for West Germany’s fear that “millions of Russian Jews may soon go to Israel and file claims amounting to vast sums.” He noted that most of the Jews who have left Russia or are expected to leave were young people or in early middle age and would not qualify for indemnification for losses suffered under the Nazis.
Mark Uliver, secretary of the Claims Conference, reported on the program to aid non-Jews who saved Jews at the risk of their lives during the Nazi era and are now in need. Such persons are known as “Hassidel Hamout.” Uliver said the program has been operating since 1963. It has almost 187 persons in 11 countries, a majority of them–122–in Poland. He also reported on aid to the former leaders of Jewish communities which were destroyed by the Nazis. This category totals 50 persons in 12 countries, most of them over 76 and 11 between 76 and 80. Louis D. Horowitz, director general of the Joint Distribution Committee reported on the Jewish Student Center in Paris which he said would be completed in 1978.
Dr. Goldmann was re-elected president of the Claims Conference. Elected vice-presidents were Dr. Morton K. Blaustein; Jules Braunschvig; Lord Janner; Dr. Siegfried Moses; Louis A. Pincus; and Dr. William Wexler.