U.S. Opting for Interim Mideast Accord

“No doors are closed” on the American government’s efforts to bring about an interim agreement in the Middle East, State Department spokesman Charles Bray said today after Egyptian President Anwar Sadat was reported to have rejected flatly a US suggestion for reopening the Suez Canal. A Beirut magazine said in an interview with Sadat that he has refused recently to enter into discussions on an interim agreement that would lead to reopening of the Suez Canal. Israel has agreed to discuss it.

The US view, Bray said, is that the “most effective way to proceed” for progress towards a Middle East peace, “given the probability that an overall settlement is too much to bite off at one way” is to take “partial, interim steps.” Asked whether Secretary of State William P. Rogers had discussed the interim “proposals” with Egyptian Foreign Minister Zayyat in their meeting at the UN last week, Bray termed the word proposals “too much” but said that they did discuss “measures.”

An East Jerusalem Arab girl who Arab terrorists claimed was kidnapped and murdered by Israeli agents in Europe, turned up in Jerusalem today alive and well. She is Elaine Abu Hadid, one of scores of Arabs ordered to leave West Germany after the slaying of 11 Israeli Olympic athletes in Munich Sept. 5. Arab terrorists alleged that she was seized by Israeli agents and died under “mysterious circumstances” enroute to Israel.

NEXT STORY