Menu JTA Search

Gush to Decide Next Move

SIGN UP FOR THE JTA DAILY BRIEFING

The secretariat of the Gush Emunim was scheduled to meet tonight and decide whether to defy Premier Menachem Begin and go ahead with plans tomorrow to establish II new Jewish settlements on the West Bank. In meetings with Begin Sunday and yesterday, Gush leaders were told by the Premier that he would not approve the new settlements now. Begin said that there can be no new settlements without government approval on both the timing and the site.

The Gush secretariat discussed Begin’s decision in an 18-hour session Sunday, breaking up only around midnight Monday, Reportedly, Gush leaders were ready to bow to the government’s demands but some of the settlement groups vowed to strike out on their own.

Gush sources have said that 2500 persons, along with the necessary transportation and construction equipment, had been ready to leave tomorrow to establish the settlements. The government apparently does not want any such move now because of the Middle East negotiations going on in the United States although it agrees with Gush that Jews have a right to settle in all of Eretz Yisrael. Should the Gusn members try to establish the settlements, the government is expected to take preventive action.

NEXT STORY