TEL AVIV (Nov. 8)
A 35-year-old woman, Rivka Loupo, was killed and five persons were injured when terrorists launched a volley of Katyusha rockets at Nahariya this afternoon. The attack also caused widespread damage to homes and vehicles in the northern Israel seaside resort.
The attack was the second of the day, an earlier one did not cause any casualties, and the third since two persons were killed by a rocket attack Sunday afternoon. Two of the injured today were children. (See Washington reaction P. 3.)
Chief of Staff Gen. Mordechai Gur said that Israeli artillery returned the fire aimed not only at the area in south Lebanon from which the rockets were launched but also at terrorist strongholds around Tyre. Gur said that in view of the continued Katyusha attacks it would appear that the cease-fire in south Lebanon has been broken totally. However, the government will have to decide whether it still considers itself under obligation to respect the cease-fire which went into effect Sept. 26.
The Chief of Staff, who visited Nahariya accompanied by Gen. Avigdor Ben Gal, commander of the Northern Command, urged people in the town to remain calm. By evening, damaged electric lines had been restored and the fires, mostly bumming automobiles, had been put out.