WASHINGTON (Jun. 18)
President Carter and Jordan’s King Hussein concluded their two days of talks today without tangible indications of either of the two leaders altering views on the route for settling the Israeli-Arab conflict.
As the President was saying “Goodbye” told reporters that they had “not tried to change each other’s mind about the procedure to be used” but that the King knew that Israel, Egypt and the United States “are determined to proceed with the Camp David process.”
Hussein said that a peace settlement could be achieved with a solution “which would give the people of Palestine their legitimate rights on their soil.” The 90-minute session today was also marked by statements of commitment to a Middle East peace, despite differences in their approaches.
Carter said last night at a state dinner for Hussein at the White House that Jordan could not avoid having a major role in future Middle East peace talks and that the talks with Hussein had been “much better” than he had expected.
SADAT CRITICIZES HUSSEIN
Hussein was criticized yesterday in Alexandria, Egypt by Egyptian President Anwar Sadat, who predicted the King would not join in the Camp David negotiations. Sadat said that Hussein wanted to join the Palestinian autonomy talks in 1978, but added, “I did not invite him to participate” because that “was opportunism” on the King’s part.
Hussein said last night that he had heard Sadat’s remarks on television. “I have never been in the habit of responding to such on attack. I know where I stand,” the King said.