TEL AVIV (Aug. 20)
The three Israeli soldiers who were killed yesterday during the Israeli attack on terrorist bases in south Lebanon were buried today with full military honor. Funeral services took place at the Netanya cemetery for Capt. Meir Knisbah, 23; at the Kibbutz Kfar Menachem cemetery for Sgt. Guy Shalev; and at the Tel Aviv military cemetery for Capt. Yossi Oved, 22.
Members of Oved’s family and friends recalled today that the young soldier, who had lived in Tel Aviv’s Hatikvoh quarter, always expressed pride in the fact that he had mode it from that slum district to the army where he became an officer in the famed Golani Brigade.
The 12 soldiers injured in the raid are reported to be doing well and were in contact with their families during the day and last night. One of those injured had been in a rest home recuperating from injuries he received during the terrorist attack on Kibbutz Misgav Am earlier this year. When he heard about the Israeli raid he left the camp and joined his unit and took part in the attack. He was wounded in the fighting, but not seriously.
TERRORIST BASES HIT AGAIN
Meanwhile, Israeli army planes again pounded terrorist hoses in south Lebanon this afternoon after Palestinian terrorists fired a number of rockets into the northern Galilee this morning in retaliation for the Israeli raids Monday night and yesterday morning, an army spokesman announced. There were no reports of any casualties or damage.
Israeli Deputy Defense Minister Mordechai Zipori declared that Israel will continue its activity against the terrorists withall its power, no matter how far Israeli soldiers will have to penetrate into south Lebanon. “We, and only we, shall decide the place and the time for any action we may take,” he said. “The action this week achieved its objective” to disrupt and undermine terrorist activities. Chief of Staff Gen. Rafael Eitan said “I know of no other army in the world that would have been able to carry out such a mission with so few casualties.”