TEL AVIV (Oct. 19)
Premier Menachem Begin said today that the raid carried out by Israeli forces in south Lebanon last Thursday night was not the first of its kind and will not be the lost. He said the operation was yet another step in Israel’s continuing preemptive war against the terrorists.
A military communique issued after the attack said at least nine terrorists were killed and six buildings were destroyed along with fortified positions and vehicles. The attacking forces, composed of paratroops and an infantry brigade, suffered no casualties and returned safely to their bases, the communique said.
The targets were Jarmeq and Shaika villages northwest of the Litani River. According to the communique, these were bases from which artillery and Katyusha rocket attacks were launched against Israeli border villages and against the Christian enclave in south Lebanon. They were manned by about 20 terrorists, most of them members of the Iraqi-sponsored Arab Liberation Front which is held responsible for the attack on Kibbutz Misgav Am earlier this year.