U.S. Tv Film on Holocaust to Be Shown in Argentina

The NBC-TV series, “Holocaust,” will be shown in Argentina Dec. 14-19 on a leading TV channel and during prime time, it was announced here by Rabbi Arthur Schneier, president of the Appeal of Conscience Foundation and spiritual leader of the Park East Synagogue. He said the decision was officially conveyed to him by the Argentine Charge d-Affaires, Minister Gustavo Figueroa.

Schneier headed an interfaith fact-finding mission of the Appeal of Conscience Foundation to Buenos Aires last August. At the time President Roberto Viola and Interior Minister Horacio Tomas Liendo assured the delegation that the TV series would be shown before Jan. 15, 1982.

“I am encouraged that ‘Holocaust’ will be shown one month earlier than anticipated,” Schneier said. “It certainly shows good will on the part of the present Argentine government, and an attempt to resolve injustices and human rights violations during the years of anarchy and chaos known as the ‘Dirty War’,” which took place between 1975 and 1979.

Schneier, who is also chairman of the World Jewish Congress-American Section, said the Appeal of Conscience Foundation had also been advised by Figueroa that II men and women who had been held as prisoners by order of the National Executive Power (PEN) had been released Nov. 16. The Foundation delegation had, during their visit last August, requested an early resolution of the state of PEN prisoners and the fate of the thousands who had disappeared during 1975-1979. Viola assured the delegation of an ongoing review of all PEN cases, Schneier said.

NEXT STORY