Anniversary of Synagogue Attack Marked in Rome Amid New Concern

Rome’s Jewish community last week marked with renewed concern the 10th anniversary of an attack by Arab terrorists on the city’s main synagogue, in which a toddler was killed and 40 people wounded.

Anti-Semitic acts are still taking place, now coming from the right wing rather than Arab terrorists, Jewish leaders noted.

“We are witnessing a new xenophobic and anti-Semitic wave in Germany and in Europe,” Sergio Frassineti, president of the Rome Jewish community, told a memorial ceremony in the synagogue, held the night of Oct 8.

Frassineti said that “all society and all authorities must be concerned.” Racial attacks “could take place anywhere,” he said.

The ceremony, at which the Jewish community gave thanks to local hospital personnel who cared for the wounded following the attack, was attended by local Jewish leaders, community members and officials, including Israeli Ambassador Avi Pazner.

On Oct. 9, 1982, Palestinian terrorists hurled hand grenades at the crowd of Jews leaving the Great Synagogue on the bank of the Tiber River following holiday services.

Two-year-old Stefano Tache was killed in the attack.

NEXT STORY