JERUSALEM, June 18 (JTA) Faced with continued casualties, the Israeli public is growing increasingly frustrated with a U.S.-brokered cease-fire that went into effect last week.
On Monday, an Israeli was killed and another lightly wounded in a drive-by shooting near the West Bank city of Nablus.
Danny Yehuda, 37, was married and the father of three young children. Palestinians in a yellow taxi passed Yehuda’s car, made a U-turn and then opened fire, according to eyewitnesses.
Two groups affiliated with Palestinian Authority President Yasser Arafat’s Fatah Party claimed responsibility for the attack.
At least four other shooting incidents against Israelis were reported Monday in the West Bank and Gaza Strip.
Also on Monday, a terrorist bombing was averted in Haifa when two police volunteers discovered three bombs hidden in a motorcycle parked outside an all-night drugstore. A fourth bomb was later found nearby.
The Palestinian public likewise saw its death toll increase after the cease-fire, which began June 13.
Palestinian officials said Israeli soldiers were responsible for the shooting death Sunday night of a 12-year-old Palestinian boy at the Khan Yunis refugee camp in the Gaza Strip. Israel said the soldiers shot at Palestinians trying to scale a fence into a Jewish settlement.
In other violence, Palestinians fired two mortar shells at Israeli army positions near the Gaza settlement of Neveh Dekalim on Monday. The attack caused no injuries.
Foreign Minister Shimon Peres said Monday that the cease-fire remains in effect, despite the drive-by slaying. He added that the two sides have yet to achieve a total cessation of violence.
A group representing