Shavuot is the holiday which commemorates the Israelites receiving the Torah from Mount Sinai during their wandering in the desert.
Since the biblical day when the Jews received the first Torah, many more have been given. Here, the JTA Archive recalls ten moments in history when Jews have given or received The Book (or the scroll), when Jewish communities have been empowered to study, pray and rejoice in the receiving of a Torah to call their own.
- 10. Palestine Gets Torah Commemorating Scrolls Burned by Nazis in Europe (1942)
9. Senator King Presented with Holy Scroll as Gift (1926)
7. Argentine Jews Present Torah to Jewish Community in Paraguay (1967)
6. Canberra Jews Get Torah Scroll As Gift from Singapore Community (1963)
5. Torah Makes Dangerous Trek from Iraq to Women’s Institute (1999)
4. Home for the Aged in Philadelphia Gives Torah to Tiny Jewish Community on Majorca (1969)