Iran to pull envoy from Bulgaria following attack accusations

(JTA) — In the wake of accusations that it was involved in the Burgas terror attack, Iran will recall its ambassador to Bulgaria.

Iran also reportedly will downgrade its relations with Bulgaria, according to reports.

The Bulgarian government last week implicated two men with links to the Iranian-backed Hezbollah in the July attack on a bus full of Israeli tourists. Bulgaria’s interior minister, Tsvetan Tsvetanov, also said that Hezbollah financed the bomb attack, which killed five Israeli tourists and their Bulgarian driver.

Last Friday, Iran’s ambassador to Bulgaria denied Iranian involvement in the attack.

"This has nothing to do with Iran," Gholamreza Bageri told reporters. "We are against any form of terrorism and strongly condemn such actions."

Iran has accused Israel of staging the attack. Israel has blamed Hezbollah and Iran.
 

NEXT STORY