JERUSALEM (JTA) — The Israeli military struck sites in Gaza after rockets were fired from the coastal strip into southern Israel in violation of a cease-fire extension.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu reportedly also recalled Israeli negotiators from cease-fire talks in Cairo after the rockets from Gaza were fired into Beersheba on Tuesday afternoon. Israeli government officials told Haaretz that the talks had collapsed.
The rockets broke a 24-hour cease-fire extension agreed to at midnight Monday. They landed in an open area; no injuries or damage were reported. The Iron Dome missile defense system did not attempt to intercept the rockets — the first targeting Israel in nearly a week.
Netanyahu and Defense Minister Moshe Yaalon reportedly ordered the Israel Defense Forces to retaliate. One Israeli TV report said the IDF had hit 10 sites in Gaza.
“Yet again, terrorists breach the ceasefire and renew fire at Israeli civilians from Hamas ruled Gaza Strip. This continued aggression will be addressed accordingly by the IDF; we will continue striking terror infrastructure, pursuing terrorists, and eliminating terror capabilities in the Gaza Strip, in order to restore security for the State of Israel,” IDF spokesman Lt. Col. Peter Lerner said in a statement.
Israel and the Palestinians had agreed to the extension of a five-day cease-fire reportedly because significant progress had been made on a long-term agreement.