July 8, 2011 5:07pm
As far as he knows, Bernard Koch is the only French Jew to have worked for a mosque. During my research into French Jewish life to prepare for this reporting project, Koch’s name kept cropping up as someone who had made a career of working to break down barriers. I had to meet this guy….
July 7, 2011 7:11pm
What put shechitah, or kosher slaughter, in the crosshairs in Holland was an unlikely convergence between animal rights activists and the country’s far-right, anti-Muslim movement.
June 28, 2011 2:37pm
The chief rabbi of Moscow will succeed the former chief rabbi of France as head of the Conference of European Rabbis.
June 27, 2011 2:48pm
Israeli-Kazakh billionaire Alexander Mashkevich has resigned as president of the Euro-Asian Jewish Congress, a spokesman confirmed to JTA.
June 27, 2011 3:14am
The task at hand is simple but important. Dig deeper. Look for nuance. Write about what’s changing, growing, new. My goal during six months of reporting on Jewish Europe — kicking off with my arrival in Paris on Thursday morning — is to challenge narratives of European Jewish life that focus exclusively on the Holocaust…
June 22, 2011 2:32pm
H&H Bagels, the no-frills bagel shop that for decades was a beloved fixture of Manhattan’s Upper West Side, is reportedly closing its doors.
June 21, 2011 7:11pm
The debate in New York over including religious exemptions in a same-sex marriage bill may serve as a lesson for other states.
June 16, 2011 7:12pm
An Argentine government official is joining a prominent Jewish banker to expose an anti-Semitic chapter in the country’s past with new charges against former Argentine leaders.
June 15, 2011 3:48pm
Two Jewish businessmen — a son and his father — have filed a lawsuit against GE Financial Services, accusing the company of racial and religious discrimination.
June 13, 2011 8:49pm
The family of a man badly burned in an alleged arson attack filed a lawsuit against the grand rabbi of the Chasidic village of New Square, N.Y.
- Uganda’s Jews are down to one meal a day because of East Africa’s famine
- Israeli terror victims named; Abbas calls for Palestinian ‘victory’
- Three Italian brothers try to find the cave they lived in during the Holocaust
- Jewish Ohio Senate candidate condemns ADL, backs figures on ‘alt-lite’ list
- City Council candidate ‘cares about’ Jews, compares them to Germans who enabled the Nazis
- Four times John McCain went maverick with his Jewish friends
- B’nai B’rith slams State Dept. for saying ‘lack of hope’ drives terrorism
- HIAS ‘glad’ Supreme Court upholds decision to add grandparents, grandchildren to family defintion
- Clashes between Muslim worshippers, Israel security officials continue over Temple Mount metal detectors
SponsoredWhy you might find bacon flavors next time you go to a kosher restaurant
- Why this poster of a Jewish man and a Muslim woman kissing caused a scandal in Europe