February 25, 2013 12:19pm
Some of us chuckled– giggled at most– to Seth Macfarlane’s sexist, racist jokes at the Oscars last night, but the anti-Defamation League’s Abe Foxman certainly did not. The organization sent out a press release this morning calling Macfarlane’s Ted bit “offensive and not remotely funny,” referring to the part where the teddy bear from the 2012 film, “Ted” came…
February 25, 2013 11:29am
Brooklyn Assemblyman Dov Hikind held a massive party at his house yesterday for the Jewish holiday of Purim, which features 14 hours of food, booze, and of course, costumes. Hikind, getting into the holiday spirit, dressed up as a basketball player– ALL BASKETBALL PLAYERS, you see, not just a specific one– complete with afro, sunglasses, and jersey….
February 22, 2013 1:12pm
Purim, the festival of drinking, giggles, dress up, and those triangle cookies, is a time to feature some hidden creativity for costumes.
Some see this as a time to unleash their inner skank, others, their more controversially political side.
Here are our top 10 reasons why we love Purim, according to some holiday photos…
10. Because on this day, rabbis have green hair!
(and it suits him rather well.)
(Courtesy of BBC)
9. Because animals can be counted for a minyan
.(But not women, of course… just kidding! But seriously…)
(Courtesy of AVAX)
February 21, 2013 6:50pm
She’s moved on from her immaculate role as the Nanny. In an interview with Access Hollywood, Fran Drescher revealed that she often sexts (as in, to send dirty text messages), but makes sure she never sends photos. “I like to sext,” the 55-year-old star of “Happily Divorced” said. “Absolutely, [but] no pictures.” Drescher revealed that…
February 21, 2013 3:18pm
There’s a lot of pressure being put on Barbra Streisand, whose performing for the first time in 36 years this Sunday at the Oscars (7:00, EST, which gives you just enough time to sober up from the Purim festivities), and to deal with that pressure, Babs is altering her eating routines. Stylists told the Hollywood Reporter Streisand is…
February 21, 2013 2:50pm
There are Save the Dates you receive in the mail for family events, and then there’s this. Daniel Blumen, a little Jewish boy from Atlanta, made a music video to remind those about his upcoming Bar Mitzvah event, and the video has since gone viral, surfacing on CNN, ABC, NBC, Yahoo!, and the Daily Mail,…
February 21, 2013 1:58pm
Joe Galliano, the brother of fashion designer John Galliano, appeared on Conan Tuesday night to respond to his brother’s outfit, which may or may not have been copying Hasidic garb (where did this guy even come from? Conan, how do you do what you do?) The other Galliano poked fun at all the…
February 21, 2013 1:18pm
The controversial commercial Julia Louis-Dreyfus made for Israel’s YES satellite television company has been pulled off the air, Contact Music reports. The commercial showed Louis-Dreyfus rubbing an overweight woman’s stomach in an elevator and wishing her a congratulations only to find out she’s not pregnant, and she spends the rest of the commercial trying to fix her mistake. Israeli…
Shia LaBeouf drops out of Broadway play after disagreement with Alec Baldwin, leaks apologetic emailFebruary 21, 2013 1:04pm
Shia LaBeouf and Alec Baldwin are in some sort of fight, and the two couldn’t resolve the issue to the point that Shia LaBeouf has dropped out of their upcoming Broadway show, Orphans, according to the AP. LaBeouf pulled out of the production, “due to creative difference,” according to the show’s producers, but LaBeouf tweeted an email last…
February 21, 2013 12:46pm
Tosh.0, the Comedy Central show featuring YouTube videos, gave the Viewer’s Video of the week slot yesterday to Elisha Mlotek, who videotaped himself walking in on his baby actress Revaya while on the John.
Stay informed: JTA in your inbox
Jewish and Israel News in Your Inbox
WatchOrthodox rabbinical student makes impressive run on ‘American Ninja Warrior’
- Israeli girl, 13, stabbed to death in her West Bank bedroom by Palestinian assailant
- Jeremy Corbyn compares Israel to ISIS in speech against anti-Semitism
- Oh, Canada? Jews you didn’t know were Canadian
- Jewish groups putting up a fight against growing opioid epidemic
- Hundreds turn out for Israel funeral of ex-Hasid who apparently killed herself
- Tunnel used by Jews in Lithuania to escape Nazis uncovered
- Oh, Canada? Jews you didn’t know were Canadian
- Israeli man killed, wife badly hurt in shooting attack on family car
- Jews part of interfaith effort helping needy Moroccans at Ramadan
- Arab-Israeli lawmaker calls Israeli soldiers ‘murderers,’ spurring impeachment inquiry
- Trump supporter who urged Bernie Sanders to convert to Christianity backtracks
- Bernie Sanders’ appointee to platform committee says ‘I’m not anti-Israel’
- Could Jewish senator Al Franken be Hillary’s VP pick?
- In New York race, a gay religious Jewish upstart challenges a 12-term incumbent
- Democrats’ platform recognizes Palestinian aspirations, rejects ‘occupation’ language
- Donald Trump would let Israel decide on Palestinian state, says adviser