December 11, 2009 11:11pm
President Obama has released his Chanukah message, in which he states that the holiday teaches that "faith and perseverance are powerful forces that can sustain us in difficult times and help us overcome even the greatest odds": Michelle and I send our warmest wishes to all who are celebrating Hanukkah around the world. The Hanukkah…
December 11, 2009 10:10pm
Israeli police arrested 21 left-wing activists in Jerusalem after a protest over the eviction of Palestinians from their homes turned violent.
December 11, 2009 9:29pm
Adolf Hitler’s remains were burned and dumped into a German river by Soviet KGB agents in 1970, according to the head archivist of Russia’s Federal Security Service.
December 11, 2009 4:55am
Laura Rozen at Politico reports that the Iran sanctions bill, the Iran Refined Petroleum Sanctions Act, is being held up in the Senate, possibly because the administration asked, possibly because of a request by a senator: No movement in the Senate in the end today …. that could mean they got either a formal or…
December 11, 2009 4:34am
A new poll says President Obama is more popular among Israelis that has been reported — but still isn’t that well liked by Israelis Forty-one percent of Israelis have favorable feelings toward President Obama, with 37 percent expressing an unfavorable opinion of the U.S. president, according to a New America Foundation poll released Thursday morning….
December 11, 2009 3:46am
Israel’s ambassdor to the United States told JTA there is “no daylight” between the U.S. and Israel on the Iran issue, and expressed “appreciation” to J Street for its recent backing of Iran sanctions. In a short phone interview on Thursday, Michael Oren, who has recently been quoted as critical of the left-wing pro-Israel group,…
December 11, 2009 2:05am
Forty-one percent of Israelis have favorable feelings toward President Obama, with 37 percent expressing an unfavorable opinion of the U.S. president, according to a New America Foundation poll.
December 11, 2009 12:42am
Four national Jewish groups are urging the U.S. Supreme Court to reverse a lower court decision that strips individual foreign government officials of immunity from civil lawsuits in the United States.
December 10, 2009 10:58pm
The Israeli ambassador to the United States blasted J Street, saying the organization was “fooling around with the lives of 7 million people.”
December 10, 2009 1:21am
The new national Quinnipiac poll released Wednesday found that President Obama’s approval rating in the Jewish community stands at just 52 percent. It also appears to be a completely unreliable number. I am making no judgement on the findings of the overall Quinnipiac poll of 2,313 voters, but when looking specifically at the Jewish number…
Stay informed: JTA in your inbox
Jewish and Israel News in Your Inbox
- Rock legend Phil Lesh gathers musician friends for a Grateful Dead Passover
- As Jews flee Belgium, a seder marks a family exodus
- Actress Lea Michele discovers her Greek-Jewish roots
- Sides swap character attacks in trial over Bay Area’s Koret Foundation
- Ex-mayor of London suspended from Labour for saying Hitler was Zionist
- Palestinians riot as Jewish worshippers visit Joseph’s Tomb
- Critical profile of Melania Trump unleashes flood of anti-Semitic abuse on reporter
- Bernie Sanders to lay off ‘hundreds’ of staffers
- Donald Trump: Obama is no friend of Israel
- After weeks of brickbats, Bernie Sanders offers Hillary Clinton a bouquet
- Establishment candidates win Dem Senate nods in Md., Pa.
- Trump sweeps 5 states, Clinton wins 4