January 30, 2012 3:50pm
From composting in Modiin to recycling in Jerusalem, Israelis are starting to catch up with the rest of the Western world when it comes to sorting trash.
December 29, 2011 5:47pm
Why do those H&M cargo pants cost 33 percent more in Israel than in America? Because importers have figured out that the Israeli consumer is willing to pay more, say experts.
November 28, 2011 5:51pm
After Tel Aviv’s first Fashion Week in decades, formidable obstacles still remain before Israel can become a major stop for fashion designers and retailers.
October 27, 2011 6:46pm
Plans for a new neighborhood on a Jerusalem hilltop have drawn anger from Palestinians and concern from the site’s handful of current Jewish residents.
October 12, 2011 5:10pm
Thanks to Israeli league rules, the NBA lockout and the dreams of one particular team owner in Israel, a growing number of American Jewish athletes are making aliyah so they can play professional basketball in Israel.
September 18, 2011 5:10pm
Israel’s doctors’ strike highlighted larger problems with the country’s health care system, which increasingly has shifted toward private care.
September 6, 2011 5:08pm
Saturday night’s demonstrations by more than 400,000 Israelis calling for social justice represented a powerful climax to an unprecedented summer of protests and activism, but what comes next is uncertain.
August 23, 2011 9:41pm
Ramadan, the monthlong fasting Islamic period, is a time for Israeli Muslims to fast, juggle work schedules and ponder the place of Muslim holidays in the Jewish state.
August 16, 2011 2:13pm
Compared to the United States and Europe, Israeli costs of living are a mixed bag. Salaries are lower, but so are health care costs. Consumer goods and services cost nearly double what they do in America. Comparatively speaking, owning a car can cost six times as much.
August 9, 2011 3:28pm
Facing social protests at home and skepticism overseas, is Benjamin Netanyahu’s embrace of the pre-1967 lines as the basis for Israeli-Palestinian negotiations a sign of a real shift by the prime minister, or is he merely trying to call the Palestinians’ bluff and gain the upper hand in the international arena — and at home?
Stay informed: JTA in your inbox
Jewish and Israel News in Your Inbox
- Orthodox trader, immigrant Harvard grad, killed by Manhattan crane collapse
- Mystery solved: Sanders volunteered at kibbutz Shaar Haamakim
- Israeli Jewish boy, 11, stabbed and wounded allegedly by Arab teen
- Brazil Hillel feigns closure in bizarre marketing stunt
- On 'SNL' with Larry David, Bernie Sanders plays the idealistic Jew
- Israeli actress, 46, sues fashion boss who replaced her with younger model
- Prayer books, Torah scrolls destroyed in suspected Palestinian arson attack
- Bernie Sanders, Larry David to appear together on ‘SNL’
- Orthodox Jewish trader, immigrant Harvard grad, killed by Manhattan crane collapse
- On ‘SNL’ with Larry David, Bernie Sanders plays the Jewish idealist
- Coen brothers on #OscarsSoWhite: We write what we know – Jews and Minnesotans