July 18, 2012 2:49pm
The non-Chasidic haredi community went to Rabbi Elyashiv as the final arbiter for any dilemma, not just in the field of religious practice, but also in matters of politics, business and even matchmaking. Followers saw him as the Gadol Hador — the greatest of his generation.
May 22, 2012 4:36pm
As a Reform rabbi participates in a city religious council meeting, Reform and Conservative movements speak of their gains in Israel.
May 14, 2012 9:04pm
Israel’s security technologies were on display as the country hosted two separate international contingents.
May 8, 2012 3:05pm
Behind-the-scenes deal boosts Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s government from 66 of the 120 Knesset members to 94.
May 7, 2012 3:56pm
While it is unclear how easy it will be for Benjamin Netanyahu to form a stable government, there seems little doubt that he will remain prime minister.
May 2, 2012 4:12pm
A Baltimore judge will not drop the charges against two Jewish brothers accused of beating a black teenager.
April 3, 2012 4:24pm
Tzipi Livni’s resounding fall in the leadership vote for Kadima, Israel’s largest political party, was as dramatic as her rise to political power.
March 26, 2012 2:34pm
Capitalism in pursuit of social justice: The notion is becoming more common in Israel as a new generation of entrepreneurs and innovators in the fields of high-tech, industry and real estate is delving into philanthropy.
March 12, 2012 8:14pm
The Iron Dome defense system may have emboldened Israeli leaders to strike in Gaza, but it has left the larger dynamics of the region relatively unchanged.
February 28, 2012 3:12pm
As Israeli Supreme Court president Dorit Beinisch steps down from her post as chief justice, a battle is raging to limit the court’s power — or at least fill it with more conservative justices.
Stay informed: JTA in your inbox
Jewish and Israel News in Your Inbox
- Russia to return Israeli tank captured by Syria in 1982
- Historic Jewish wedding in Turkey triggers hate speech online
- Vandalism at 3 New England synagogues aims to intimidate community, ADL regional leader says
- CRIF’s new president: French Jews’ situation worst since 1945
- Argentine ex-minister’s Iran tape admitted as evidence of alleged treason
- Ohio Israeli eatery to close following February machete attack
- Bernie Sanders: Israel has a right to US protection
- Donald Trump: Debating trailing Bernie Sanders would be ‘inappropriate’
- NY Times editor calls out Donald Trump for ignoring supporters’ anti-Semitic tweets
- Donald Trump says he would debate Bernie Sanders for charity
- Bernie Sanders expects ‘consensus’ on Palestinian rights at Democratic convention
- Democrats said to be debating ouster of Wasserman Schultz as party chair