August 10, 2011 9:23pm
Herbert Hoover, president from 1929-1933 (and whose birthday is today), has a few less-than-cheery associations: Hoovertowns, the Great Depression, and his pre-presidency role as head of Food Administration during World War I, which involved food-rationing slogans like “when in doubt, eat potatoes.”. What he probably isn’t known for is involvement with the Jewish community. But…
August 9, 2011 7:48pm
* Jon Scheyer, a Jewish 23-year-old former Duke basketball star, visited Israel last month, where he is joining the Maccabi Tel Aviv team. "There are so many reasons why it’s a great situation," said Scheyer, who is Jewish. "Being in Israel is great; of course, I have a connection to Israel because of my faith…
July 28, 2011 10:46pm
New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg accidentally addressed Muslim leaders at a Ramadan gathering with a “Shalom.”
July 28, 2011 3:24pm
Facebook, citing free speech, has rejected a request by Holocaust survivors to remove some pages that espouse Holocaust denial.
July 27, 2011 4:03pm
After a tornado devastated the city of Joplin, Mo., in late May, a flood of rabbis was organized to visit the city every Shabbat to help residents and offer solace and spiritual lift to the tiny Jewish community.
July 26, 2011 2:07pm
An Israeli aid group and Canadian Jewish federations are teaming to help ease the famine in Somalia.
July 21, 2011 11:03am
A grand jury in New York indicted Levi Aron for the murder of 8-year old Leiby Kletzky.
July 20, 2011 8:17pm
Rabbi David Twersky, the grand rebbe of the Skverer Chasidic sect in the New York village of New Square, has requested the dismissal of a lawsuit implicating him in an arson attack.
July 11, 2011 8:19pm
* Shai Hermesh, a Kadima Knesset member, tried to bring a cow into the Israeli Knesset building the other day in order to make a point about dairy imports in the wake of the recent cottage cheese scandal. Sadly the animal didn’t make it too far; a Knesset security guard stopped Hermesh, pointing out that…
July 6, 2011 10:43pm
A top official with one of Egypt’s leading secular political parties called the Holocaust “a lie” and Anne Frank’s diary “a fake.”
Jewish and Israel News in Your Inbox
- Lone soldiers from North America attend Thanksgiving dinner in Tel Aviv
- Thousands attend wedding of woman whose father, brother killed in terror attack
- Jewish disability advocate chides Trump for mocking reporter
- 8 of the coolest menorahs for this Hanukkah season
- CNN posts Middle East map that doesn’t show Israel